[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4503: ob_start(): output handler 'ob_gzhandler' conflicts with 'zlib output compression'
Dialect Zone International • View topic - Anyone Want To Host The 2022 Winter Olympics

Anyone Want To Host The 2022 Winter Olympics

Discussion About Sports.

Re: Anyone Want To Host The 2022 Winter Olympics

Postby admin » Tue May 27, 2014 10:53 pm

Here's an aging ski jump from the 1988 Games in Calgary. Eddie "The Eagle" Edwards, Britain's first ever ski jumper, made his name here

1988 Calgary Olympics Ski Jump Relic.jpg
Dialect Zone International Forums
TOS | FAQ | Privacy | Feedback
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 27, 2014 10:54 pm

This ski jump in Murmansk, Russia was part of an Olympic training facility. The rickety wooden structure rests above a lake.

Murmansk Russia Ski Jump.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 27, 2014 10:55 pm

Another view of the defunct ski jump in Murmansk, Russia.

Murmansk Russia Winter Olympics.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 27, 2014 10:56 pm

Another angle of the ski jump in Murmansk, which is located in the extreme northwest corner of Russia.

Murmansk Russia Ski Jump Another View.jpg
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 27, 2014 10:58 pm

It is long past time to just STOP with this insane process of "bidding" for the Olympic games and then building deluxe new facilities at great expense in order to accommodate them. There are facilities all over the world that would be adequate to hold Olympic championship events for every imaginable sport, winter or summer. No new facilities would EVER have to be built. This fiasco has grown to be such an enormous logistic and security nightmare that I am amazed that ANY countries are still bidding to host them. The crumbling, rusting ruins of previous Olympic sites stand in mute testimony to the idiocy of this process. Just STOP it. It is an inexcusable waste of resources that in effect creates "instant ruins" which begin to fall into decay the day after the Olympic closing ceremony.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 27, 2014 10:59 pm

What I'd like to know is how much of the billions of dollars the television networks pay to broadcast the Olympics goes back to the host cities to help them recoup some of their debt? Or does it all just go the IOC. There must be some way for the cities to recover some of their expenses through advertising or some other way. I also do really like the idea of not having a new host city each year and simply sharing the games, other than just the opening and closing ceremonies, between different cities or countries. There may be logistical nightmares involved with events happening the next day or the day before the ceremonies, but I'm sure that they can figure it out.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Now that cities have caught on to the Olympics scam, perhaps they will discover the Professional sports team scam. Rich team owners hold title to the team, a valuable marketable asset, while demanding a new sports venue from the taxpayers. If that is not enough more money can be extorted when the rich team owner threatens to move the team leaving a gigantic hole in the center of the city. Take a look at the Pontiac "Super" Dome, its a real hum dinger!
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Why don't we just use one of our old venues? I've heard they become ghost towns if they haven't been in use. We could just patch them up if they are in bad shape. What is the point of spending so much money on a stadium? You don't see our sports on television having new stadiums built wherever they go. I think we should have a Mediterranean Island near Greece (The origin of the Olympics) or at least somewhere in a permanent place where we could host the games. Maybe one spot for the Winter Games and One spot for the Summer Games. We could have a nation be in charge of the opening and closing ceremonies entertainment for each game, so that said nation doesn't have to go all out by creating a new stadium.

Money tips:
Have a budget and stay under it if you can. Don't go over. There are cheaper alternatives. Yes, I'm talking to those nations wanting to host the games.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 27, 2014 11:01 pm

Here's the best idea but since people like me have zero power in the world it will be totally ignored. The Olympics should not travel from place to play every 4 years, the idea of that was something that evolved in the first modern Olympics but honestly it was a dated and bad idea when it first appeared. The Olympics in ancient Greece was in the same place every time. That is what the best solution is. Pick an Island in the Mediterranean like Sicily or some other Greek island, all nations contribute, and literally build adequate facilities that can undergo a bit of remodeling every four years to suit the theme but basically you don't have to find a place suitable for the Olympics because you'll build it but it will last at least 20+ Olympics or more. Perhaps if you want more than one place, build two, one near Europe and one in Asia, and they can switch back and forth every 4 years, and if you want build one for summer, one for winter. That is basically 4 permanent locations, but there is no reason why you cant have two locations since you can make indoor winter sport places, yet I'd get it if they want to do them in two separate places. I know I'm not the first to suggest this but realize the people like me don't make key decisions and don't find wasting money a good idea, and that is one reason the system works how it does now.
admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Tue May 27, 2014 11:01 pm

"Russia spent $51 billion on the Sochi Olympics, an incomprehensible sum for any nation but particularly one teetering on the edge of political turmoil. China spent $40 billion for the 2008 Beijing Games. Montreal lost nearly a billion dollars hosting the 1976 Games, and it took 30 years to pay off that debt. Nagano, Japan, which hosted the Olympics in 1998, apparently still hasn't paid off its debt."

These sums are not only obscene but also laden with bribes, deliberate invoice inflation and general corporate and political corruption.

How about a regional rotation: Japan, Europe, North America, etc. This way the venues can be reused and the host nation can share the costs and benefits with its neighbors.

Won't happen because the IOC is too ingrained in its ways trying to always up the ante to line their pockets.

In the end the real problem is the International Olympic Committee itself which is made up of sycophants of its president and corrupted by cronyism and nepotism.
admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Sports